Google + RSS Feed

Japanese Emigrants to Hawaii


May 23, 2014 by Valerie Elkins

Many Japanese who emigrated from Japan came to Hawaii. If you haven’t been able to locate where in Japan your ancestor came from, try contacting the Consulate General of Japan in Hawaii. The address is:

Honolulu Consulate-General of Japan

1742 Nuuanu Avenue                                                                                                                                                                  Honolulu, Hawaii 96817-3294

Write your request and be sure to state your relationship to the person you are requesting information about, the approximate date of their arrival in Hawaii (1900, 1910, etc.) and their name and include any other helpful information (i.e. the kanji characters of their name, etc.).

Be sure to enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for their reply. Responses take 6-10 weeks, so be patient. If you are lucky, you will receive a copy of their immigration card, which will look something like this:

If you can’t read the language, try to locate someone to translate it for you ( offers this service). With the information on this card, you can now request your family’s records from Japan.

Happy Hunting!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Japanese Genealogy Help

Search This Blog